Basic Cataloging with RDA
Monday, April 20, 2015 | 8:30AM - 4:30PM
Laney College, Oakland
Presented by the CLA Technical Services Interest Group
Presenters: Luiz Mendes, CSU Northridge and Kevin Balster, UCLA
Resource Description and Access (RDA) is the new cataloging standard designed to replace AACR2. The workshop will offer a basic introduction to cataloging with RDA, will focus on print monographs, and will cover both description and access. Attendees will participate in hands-on exercises which will include use of tools and documentation in support of cataloging with RDA. Access to the online RDA Toolkit will be provided. Access to the PowerPoint presentation will be given to participants ahead of the workshop via email.
About the Presenters
Luiz Mendes is the Electronic Resources Librarian at CSU Northridge. He is a past President of Southern California Technical Processes Group (SCTPG), has served as a member of the ALCTS CaMMS RDA Implementation and Training Task Force, and is a national trainer for the Library of Congress Cataloging for the 21st Century metadata courses. Luiz is an adjunct faculty member in the UCLA Department of Information Studies, where he teaches graduate courses on descriptive and subject cataloging.
Kevin Balster is the ERM/Continuing Resources Metadata Librarian at UCLA Cataloging & Metadata Center, and has been contributing RDA bibliographic and authority records since joining UCLA in April 2012. Kevin was the co-trainer for the Southern California Technical Processes Group (SCTPG) and California Library Association (CLA) RDA Serials Cataloging Workshop.
- $95 non-members
- $75 CLA members, SCTPG and NCTPG members
- $50 student members
- Refunds cannot be issued within three weeks of an event taking place.
- All refunds are subject to a $25 processing fee.
- Events costing $25 and under are not eligible for refunds.
- If any early bird rate is offered, mail-in registrations must be received by the CLA office by 5pm on the day of the deadline to receive the early-bird registration rate.
- CLA member rates: person must be an Individual Voting or Supporting CLA member to receive the discounted member rate for workshops or webinars.
- Group rates for webinars: one person must register for the entire group and the login information will be sent to that person. If the person registering the group is a CLA member the group is entitled to the member rate. Group rates are intended for four or more individuals viewing the webinar together. The login information you receive may only be used on one machine.
- Webinars will be recorded and the recording will be made available to all registrants at a later date at no extra fee.
- Your registration for a Spring Fling program constitutes permission to utilize photos taken of you at the event for news, promotion, and similar purposes.
- Please contact the CLA Executive Director if you have questions.
Back to the Spring Fling homepage