Basic Cataloging with RDA
- Wednesday, March 12 | 8:30am-4:30pm
- California State Library, Room 500, Stanley Mosk Library and Courts Building, 914 Capitol Mall, Sacramento, CA 95814
- Presenters: Luiz Mendes, CSU Northridge; Kevin Balster, UCLA
Resource Description and Access (RDA) is the new cataloging standard designed to replace AACR2. This workshop will offer a basic introduction to cataloging with RDA, focusing on print monographs covering both description and access. Attendees will participate in hands-on exercises which will include use of tools and documentation in support of cataloging with RDA. Use of the online RDA Toolkit will be demonstrated. The PowerPoint presentation will be made available to attendees ahead of time.
Presented by CLA's Technical Services Interest Group and co-sponsored by the Southern California Technical Processes Group (SCTPG) and Northern California Technical Processes Group (NCTPG).
- $90 non-members
- $70 CLA members, SCTPG and NCTPG members
- $45 student members
Includes morning and afternoon light refreshments; lunch is not provided.
Registration is closed. Please email Natalie Cole for further information.
Reviews of previous CLA RDA workshops:
- "Very clear instructions, good in-class exercises, and the instructor's good sense of humor kept the material fresh and interesting."
- "Presenter knowledgeable and effective. Program covered basics well and did get into some more detailed and complex issues too."
- "The program was well-paced and a good return on investment. One of the best workshops I have ever attended! THANKS."
About the presenters
Luiz Mendes is the Electronic Resources Librarian at CSU Northridge. He is a past President of Southern California Technical Processes Group (SCTPG), has served as a member of the ALCTS CaMMS RDA Implementation and Training Task Force, and is a national trainer for the Library of Congress Cataloging for the 21st Century metadata courses. Luiz is an adjunct faculty member in the UCLA Department of Information Studies, where he teaches graduate courses on descriptive and subject cataloging.
Kevin Balster is the ERM/Continuing Resources Metadata Librarian at UCLA Cataloging & Metadata Center, and has been contributing RDA bibliographic and authority records since joining UCLA in April 2012. Kevin was the co-trainer for the Southern California Technical Processes Group (SCTPG) and California Library Association (CLA) RDA Serials Cataloging Workshop.
Questions? Please email Elaine Franco, Advisory Board Member, CLA Technical Services Interest Group
Notes, Terms and Conditions
- Registration closes Wednesday, March 5, at 5:00pm PST. Registration payments must be received at the CLA office by Wednesday, March 5, at 5:00pm PST for your registration to be processed.
- Refunds cannot be issued within three weeks of an event taking place.
- All refunds are subject to a $25 processing fee.
- Events costing $25 and under are not eligible for refunds.
- Your registration for a Spring Fling program constitutes permission to utilize photos taken of you at the event for news, promotion, and similar purposes.
- Please contact the CLA Executive Director if you have questions.