CLA’s California Summer Reading Program is guided by an advisory council of CLA members which:
- works with iREAD colleagues in Illinois to create the annual summer reading Resource Guide (tasks include developing program ideas, canvassing ideas from California librarians, and editing those ideas in preparation for inclusion in the Guide);
- develops theme-based summer reading ideas and resources;
- gives presentations at summer reading training workshops;
- staffs the CLA Membership Booth at the CLA conference;
- encourages participation in iREAD; and
- provides advice to CLA staff on the development of summer reading in California.
Members include children’s, teen, and adult services librarians. Committee members serve three-year terms (which begin each year at the CLA conference) and their libraries must use the CSRP summer reading theme during their term of service. The committee meets by telephone and corresponds by email during the year, and meets in person at the annual CLA conference.
We encourage CLA members who have creative summer reading ideas and excellent project management skills, love giving workshop presentations, and like to network with others to join the council!
Advisory Council Members
Sally Ainsworth, Tehama County Library
Elyse Barrere, Los Angeles Public Library
Natalie Cole, California Library Association (ex officio)
Heather Cousin, Simi Valley Public Library
Jill Harris, San Rafael Public Library
Anna Hartman, San Diego County Library (vice chair, 2013-2014; chair 2014-2015)
Rachelle Lopez, Ontario City Library
Morgan Pershing, Santa Clara Public Library
Nicole Powell, Sacramento Public Library
Courtney Saldana, Ontario City Library (chair, 2013-2014)
Susan Serrano, Butte County Library
Celeste Steward, Alameda County Library
Laurie Willhalm, Oakland Public Library