Building the Next Generation Library: Highlights and Insights from Successful Library Building Projects
- Wednesday, April 16 | 10:00am-11:00am
- Presenters: Henry Bankhead and Heidi Murphy, Town Librarians, Los Gatos Public Library; Anders Dahlgren, Consultant and Author, Library Planning Associates, Inc; Donna Ohr, Deputy Director, San Diego County Library.
Learn about the latest trends in library building design from librarians whose libraries have been highlighted in Library Journal's Architecture Edition. Participants will learn what it takes to fundraise, plan, design, and construct the next generation library, and will gain valuable advice on planning the next library building or renovation--big or small.
Presented by CLA's Management Interest Group and Library Facilities Interest Group.
- $40 non-members
- $30 CLA members
- $20 student members
Group Rates (intended for groups viewing/participating in the webinar together; one login will be provided to the group)
- $140 non-members
- $100 CLA members (the person registering the group must be a member)
- $70 student members (the person registering the group must be a member)
To purchase a recording of this webinar, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the presenters
Henry Bankhead is a Town Librarian at the Los Gatos Library. He has been a librarian for over ten years. He reviews literary fiction and romance for Library Journal. His passion for open source is only rivaled by his obsession with eBooks, his addiction to fiction, and his quest to provide unparalleled customer service.
Anders Dahlgren heads Library Planning Associates, Inc. an architecture firm that helps libraries and library systems sharpen their vision of the future in order to focus their efforts and resources more effectively. Established in 1984, LPA has worked with all types and sizes of libraries--more than 175 projects in 26 states and abroad.
Heidi Murphy serves as one of two Town Librarians at Los Gatos Public Library in Los Gatos, California. This unique co-directorship with Henry Bankhead allows for innovation and superior customer-service while maximizing the funds spent directly on the community. Heidi's focus is on developing & maintaining productive dialogue and partnership with community groups, schools and other stakeholders. Helping with design, opening and adapting to a wonderfully vibrant new library environment has been very fulfilling. Prior to coming to Los Gatos, Heidi worked as Director of Research for a human resources consulting firm where she truly learned to appreciate people and connections as two great resources which bridge all fields.
Donna Ohr is the Deputy Director of the San Diego County Library. Ohr received her Masters of Library Science from the University of Washington in 1993, and has worked as a librarian at the Tacoma Community College and California State University San Marcos. She has been with the San Diego County Library for 12 years, where she has led the expansion and renovation that have contributed to the library's inclusion in Library Journal's Year in Architecture and San Diego County Library's Library Journal Library of the Year award.
Questions? Please email Jeff Scott, Chair, CLA Management Interest Group
Notes, Terms and Conditions
- Registration closes Friday, April 9, at 5:00pm PST. Registration payments must be received at the CLA office by Friday, April 9, at 5:00pm PST for your registration to be processed.
- Refunds cannot be issued within three weeks of an event taking place.
- All refunds are subject to a $25 processing fee.
- Events costing $25 and under are not eligible for refunds.
- Your registration for a Spring Fling program constitutes permission to utilize photos taken of you at the event for news, promotion, and similar purposes.
- Please contact the CLA Executive Director if you have questions.