About the award | Current award recipient | Past award recipients
The CLA Technology Professional Award acknowledges superior achievement by an individual in those areas of the library profession that encompass technology. The award honors those who have made significant contributions in areas of librarianship that have been especially challenged by the need for innovation and adaptation in dealing with rapidly changing technology.
A maximum of one award is given each year. The CLA Technology Professional Award recipient is presented with $400 and honored at the CLA annual conference.
The Technology Professional Award is sponsored by Springshare.
Submit a nomination or application for the CLA Technology Professional Award
2016 Award Recipient
Paula MacKinnon, Califa Group
Paula MacKinnon, Interim Director at Califa Group, is an information professional with 20 years’ experience developing, managing and writing about usable, content‐rich web services for public and special libraries. Her recent projects include award‐winning library services Discover & Go, a downloadable museum pass platform for California libraries; LiveChat, an eGovernment Customer Relationship Management service provided by the Library; enki Library, a California ebook platform that makes ebook ownership a reality for libraries; and Snap & Go, a smart phone application that uses QR codes to put library service literally, into the hands of commuters. Paula holds a master’s degree in library science from Dalhousie University, Canada.
The 2017 award nomination period will be announced soon.
- Applicants or nominees are required to be CLA members.
- Applicants or nominees must have worked for a portion of the past year in a California library.
- Nominators are not required to be CLA members. However, if a nomination is made by a non-member, the nomination must be endorsed by a CLA member. If you need assistance in finding a CLA member to endorse your nomination, please contact the CLA office no later than two weeks prior to the deadline.
How to apply or nominate
The California library community is invited to apply or nominate a colleague for this award. Applicants or nominators should submit a statement (of no more than 500 words) identifying the achievement(s) and briefly describing the impact of the achievement(s) on those areas of the library profession that encompass technology. Criteria for selection are outstanding achievement in one or more of the following areas related to libraries and technology:
- leadership in professional associations at the local, state, regional, national, or international level;
- significant contributions to the development, application, or utilization of new or improved methods, techniques, and routines demonstrating creativity and innovation;
- significant contributions to the professional literature;
- significant studies or research.
- The CLA Technology Professional Award is coordinated by CLA's Technology Interest Group (TIG).
- TIG may consider only those individuals who have been formally nominated for the award.
- TIG reserves the right not to give an award if a qualified candidate is not found.
- Award recipients will be asked to submit a photograph to be used in award publicity.
- If you have any questions about the award, please contact Mellanie Reeve.
2016 CLA Technology Professional Award Committee
- Phillip Ballo
- Lena Pham, California State Library
- Tim Ream, LA Southwest College
- Mellanie Reeve, Chaffey College (Chair)
- Crystal Schimpf