About the award | Current award recipient | Past award recipients
The CLA Technology New Leader Award cultivates new leadership in the field of library and information science technology. The award honors emerging leaders, enables them to attend and actively participate in the CLA conference, and encourages and inspires them to accept leadership roles within CLA’s Technology Interest Group (TIG) and the association as a whole. The award is sponsored by The Galecia Group.
A maximum of one award of $400 is given each year. CLA’s Technology New Leader is honored at the CLA annual conference and is enrolled into CLA’s Mentoring Program.
Apply for the CLA Technology Interest Group New Leader Award
2016 Award Recipient
Chris Kyauk currently serves as an Information Systems Specialist for the Alameda County Library. As dedicated library information technology support, he takes care of all things that run on electricity and a couple of things that don’t. His goal and mission is to build the Library’s capacity to be a technologically cutting-edge, community-focused library. Chris is proud to be part of a team that pushes the envelope of what it means to be a library today. At the Alameda County Library, he has worked to bring new services to the organization - services such as an automated laptop lending kiosk, gigabit-enabled broadcasting, and cloud-based digital signage.
In previous incarnations Chris has worked at a memory chip seller and in academic and special libraries. Chris has a master’s degree in Library Science from San Jose State University and is a proud Spectrum Scholar. In his spare time he is either teaching himself programming, trying out a new recipe, or going on a new adventure.
The 2017 award application period is open until Monday, April 3, 2017 at 5:00pm PDT.
- Applicants are required to be members of CLA.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a library degree program, be a recent library school graduate, or have no more than five years of post-master's degree experience.
- Applicants agree to attend and report on technology meetings and programs at the CLA conference and must be willing to serve on a TIG committee or task force, or run for TIG office, following the annual conference.
How to apply
Applicants should submit the following to CLA:
- A brief professional interest statement (no more than 500 words) explaining your interest and background in library technology and your career goals.
- A resume or curriculum vitae is preferred but not required.
- Evidence of technology projects at the student, paraprofessional, or professional level are all plusses that the committee considers.
Please note: when submitting supplementary files by email, please label your files as follows: TIG New Leader_your last name_document (e.g.: TIG New Leader_smith_résumé; TIG New Leader_smith_CV).
Applications should be submitted using the online application form below. Supplementary files may be emailed to Shana Sojoyner.
- The CLA Technology New Leader Award is coordinated by CLA's Technology Interest Group (TIG)
- TIG reserves the right not to give an award if a qualified candidate is not found.
- Award recipients will be asked to submit a photograph to be used in award publicity.
- Applications and all supplementary materials must be received by 5:00pm on the submission deadline.
- If you have any questions about the award, please contact Julie Oborny.
2017 CLA Technology New Leader Award Committee
- Phillip Ballo
- Julie Oborny, San Jose Public Library (Chair)
- Lena Pham, California State Library
- Tim Ream, LA Southwest College