News about the California Summer Reading Program
- CA Librarians Gear Up For Summer with iREAD's Read to the Rhythm Programming by Eva Mitnick. School Library Journal, posted 11/19/14.
- June 10, 2014: Paws to Read, Paws to Give. California Libraries Host Drive to Benefit Animal Welfare Organizations. Press release.
- Paws to Read program ideas and resources are available on CLA's website!
- The summer 2014 iREAD ordering and delivery schedule:
- Place order by Dec 1, 2013 | Receive order by March 1, 2014
- Place order by Jan 1, 2014 | Receive order by April 1, 2014
- Place order by March 1, 2014 | Receive order by May 1, 2014
- After March 1, a revised schedule will be posted at www.ireadprogram.org
- September 17, 2013: California libraries collect over 40,000 pounds of food for those in need. Press release.
- Mayor helps fight the "summer slide" at library. Bryan M. Gold, Elk Grove Citizen, 07/12/2013
- Yolo County Library Partners with Yolo County Library in Summer Food Campaign. Woodland Record, posted 06/12/13
- Sac Library Wants to Show How "Reading Is So Delicious" this Summer. Valley Community Newspapers, posted 06/12/13
- Food Drive at San Diego Public Library this Summer. Scoop San Diego, posted 06/04/13
- June 5, 2013: Reading Is So Delicious! California Public Libraries Launch 2013 Summer Reading Programs. Press release.
- Food for Fines at San Leandro Public Library. The Oakland Post Online, posted 05/17/13
- CLA's summer reading outcomes initiative is featured in the March/April issue of Public Libraries, the official magazine of the Public Library Association.
- April 15, 2013: Acquire a Taste for Giving: California Library Association Launches Statewide Food Drive. Press release.
- Find out more about Acquire a Taste for Giving and sign up today to participate. Our goal is to collect over 10,000 pounds of food for families in need.
- Ro*co Films International and CLA are partnering to make the purchase and screening of the film A Place At The Table: One Nation. Underfed. available to all California public libraries at a considerable discount. Usually $295, California libraries will be able to purchase the public performance DVD for $100. The film is a great tie-in to the summer’s Reading Is So Delicious! summer reading theme. Visit the Ro*co website for a detailed description of the film, to view the trailer, and to purchase the DVD. Coupon code for California public libraries: CLASUMMER2013.
- The California and Illinois Library Associations will present an ALA preconference on outcomes- and outreach-based summer reading on Friday, June 28, 2013. Full workshop and registration information.
- The upcoming iREAD summer reading themes have been announced!
- The 2014 theme is animals (Paws to Read).
- The 2015 theme is Music (Read to the Rhythm).
- The 2016 theme is Sports and Games! Look out for our call to suggest slogans for the sports and games theme.
- Back by popular demand! CLA is coordinating a 2013 Stuffed Animal Sleepover and Midnight Feast for California public libraries. Find our more and sign up today to participate.
- California public libraries: Please plan to report your summer reading participation statistics to CLA in the fall. We are hoping for 100% participation! Full information and survey questions.
- Courtney Saldana (incoming chair of CLA's California Summer Reading Program Advisory Council) is coordinating the 2013 nationwide Teen Lock-In. Read more.
- The iREAD webstore is open! All purchases from iREAD support library advocacy. Visit to browse the 2013 products and make your purchases. For more information about iREAD, including how to establish iREAD as your summer reading vendor, please email email@example.com or call 877-565-1896.
- CLA partners with iREAD to provide a high-quality, statewide summer reading program that supports library advocacy. Read more about CLA's partnership with iREAD
- Reading just five books during the summer can help prevent learning loss. Read more about CLA's Five Book Summer Challenge which records how many California children and teens read five or more books during their public library summer reading programs.
- Outcomes-based summer reading programs are cost-effective, relevant, and generate data that show the value and impact of public library summer reading programs. Sign up now to participate in CLA’s summer reading outcomes and outreach initiative.
- To receive regular summer reading updates about summer reading, please email Natalie Cole to be added to the summer reading mailing list. Summer reading announcements are also posted to CALIX, and to the listservs of CLA’s Youth Services Interest Group and Public Libraries Interest Group. See CLA's Interest Group FAQs for more information on joining a CLA Interest Group.