Show and Tell: Using Screen-Casting Software in Reference Emails
Free screen-casting software can help you create short and useful videos, with audio, that illustrate exactly what you want patrons to know. This webinar provided attendees with information and hands-on opportunities to get started with two free screen-casting software, Jing and Screencast-O-Matic. Melanee Vicedo talked about how she uses videos in emails and other reference conversations and discussed best practices. The features and details of each screen-casting software were also shared and discussed. Participants had the opportunity to download and try out the software and make their own videos. They were asked to share their videos and their experiences with the software so that attendees could learn from one another. This program is presented by CLA's Academic Interest Group.
Presenter: Melanee Vicedo, Social Work Librarian, University of Southern California
The webinar took place Thursday, March 7, 2013.
Access to a recording of the webinar may be purchased. Learn more
- Non-member: $35
- Member: $25
- Student Member: $15
Workshop attendees said:
- "Thank you so much for offering it. I am inspired to use screencasts more often in my work!"
- "It was fantastic - well-presented and very practical. I sent a co-worker a screen-cast within a few hours of attending this webinar!"
- "Got some really great ideas about how to use screencasts, and some information about some of the screencast programs available."
About the presenter
Melanee Vicedo is the social work librarian at the University of Southern California. She provides reference, instruction, and outreach to the School of Social Work's on-the-ground and online programs. She previously worked as a librarian at the Atlanta University Center, served as a Fellow at OCLC and is currently a recruiter for ALA's Discovering Librarianship program. Her professional interests include student engagement in an online environment and diversity in librarianship. Melanee received her MLIS at the University of California, Los Angeles in 2007.
Questions? Please email Jade Winn, Chair, CLA Academic Interest Group
Terms and Conditions for the Live Event
- Registration closes Friday, March 1, at 5:00pm PST. Registration payments must be received at the CLA office by Friday, March 1, at 5:00pm PST for your registration to be processed and the webinar password and information to be sent to you.
- Refunds cannot be issued within three weeks of an event taking place.
- All refunds are subject to a $25 processing fee.
- Events costing $25 and under are not eligible for refunds.
- Group rates: one person must register for the entire group and the login information will be sent to that person. If the person registering the group is a CLA member the group is entitled to the member rate. Group rates are intended for four or more individuals viewing the webinar together. The login information you use may only be used on one machine.
- The webinar will be recorded and the recording will be made available to all registrants at a later date.
- Your registration for a Spring Fling program constitutes permission to utilize photos taken of you at the event for news, promotion, and similar purposes.
- Please contact the CLA Executive Director if you have questions.