Writer to Writer is a statewide writing challenge for adult learners in public library literacy programs throughout California. Adult learners are invited to read a book of their choice and then write a personal letter to the author of that book, sharing with the author their thoughts and opinions as to how the book affected them.
Writer to Writer gives adult learners the opportunity to make the first step into functional writing and provides a venue for these individual to express their voice in a safe and trusted environment.
SCLLN 2012 Awards Ceremony
The Writer to Writer Challenge is an annual writing competition for adult learners in public library literacy programs sponsored by the Southern California Library Literacy Network. To participate, learners write a letter to an author of a book telling them how the book influenced their lives. The Writer to Writer Challenge is an exciting and effective way for literacy learners to integrate their improved reading and writing skills and to share with others the transformative power of books.
There were 46 entries submitted from 13 libraries throughout Southern California. All learners who submitted a letter received a certificate for their participation. Judging panels consisting of adult learners reviewed the letters and selected one winner in each of four writing categories: Emerging, Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced. In addition, 8 runners-up were selected for recognition. All of the winners and runners-up were recognized at an awards ceremony at the Southern California Library Literacy Network (SCLLN) Conference on February 25 at the Holiday Inn in Buena Park.
The winner in each category had an opportunity to read their letter to conference attendees during the ceremony. All winners and runners-up received a copy of a book published with their letters, in addition to a free novel, a journal, and a cash prize.
The Southern California Library Literacy Network is extremely proud of all of the learners who participated in the Writer to Writer Challenge. Additional copies of the Writer to Writer publication are available from SCLLN for $5 each.
Thank you to the literacy staff and tutors who supported their learners, and to those who judged the letters from READ/San Diego, Newport Beach, Monrovia, Huntington Beach, and Carlsbad. Nancy Norcross, Cherall Weiss, Kathy Knudsen, and Diane Moseley -- you are the best!
--Carrie Scott, Carlsbad City Library, chairperson of the SCLLN W2W Challenge
SCLLN 2012 winners and runners-up
- Winner—Ramon Gomez, Carlsbad City Library Learning Center
- Runner Up—Flavio Nunez Gonzalez, San Diego County Library-Vista
- Runner Up—Sam Faualo, Carlsbad City Library Learning Center
- Winner—Shaina Kim, Newport Beach Central Public Library
- Runner Up—Erica Sanchez, “Let’s Read, Altadena!” Altadena Library District
- Runner Up—Anonymous, Newport Beach Central Public Library
- Winner—Teruyo Mori, Newport Beach Central Public Library
- Runner Up—Patricia Wrighten, San Diego Public Library-READ/San Diego
- Runner-Up—Linda Peterson, Carlsbad City Library Learning Center
- Winner—Anonymous, Carlsbad City Library Learning Center
- Runner Up—Hermond E. Jones, Carlsbad City Library Learning Center
- Runner Up—Javier Villarroel, Huntington Beach Public Library