Outcomes + Outreach = Outstanding Summer Reading Programs
sponsored by the
California Library Association
Friday, June 22, 2012
1:00pm – 4:00pm
Participants will learn effective techniques for planning and presenting successful outcomes- and outreach-based summer reading programs, including:
· conducting a community needs assessment;
· reaching out to the community and developing relationships with underserved groups;
· evaluating the impact of the summer reading program using effective surveys and successful focus groups;
· generating results that show the value and impact of the summer reading program;
· using results to improve library service, promote the library and generate funding; and
· educating and training colleagues about the value of outcome- and outreach-based summer reading.
The workshop will help librarians transition from presenting programs that merely measure outputs to creating programs that record benefits. While the workshop will focus on summer reading, the skills acquired by participants will be transferable to other areas of library service.
for a preconference that will transform your summer reading program!
· Helen Fisher, Library Director, Ontario City Library
· Cindy Mediavilla, Library Programs Consultant, California State Library
· Eva Mitnick, Acting Manager of Youth Services, Los Angeles Public Library
· Virginia Walter, outcomes trainer and consultant, and professor emeritus, UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies