Resume for: Heather Garrett
Date posted: January 17, 2012
An Archivist or Librarian position.
- San Jose State University – MLIS in Library & Information Science, focus in archives Aug 2010 - Dec 2011
Society of American Archivists Student Chapter – Vice Chair: August 2010 – August 2011
- Boston University - M.A. in History September 2009 – May 2010
20th century Germany, Thesis: “Sonderbauten”: A Memory of Prostitution in the Holocaust
- University of Southern California - M.A. in Education June 2006 – June 2007
USC Scholarly Achievement Scholarship – High Academic Performance, May 2007
- University of California, Los Angeles – B.A. in English and History, with Honors September 2002 – June 2006
Pi Beta Phi Achievement Scholarship – Outstanding Service, May 2005
Chinatown YMCA Project Manager, San Francisco, CA
October 2011 – Present
- Survey the community oral history project, assess the collection’s current status, and compose proposal plan.
- Design and oversee graduate internship project in order to further develop the collection and gain intellectual control.
- Create an index and database using archival standards to make histories accessible.
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, Archiving Department Intern, San Francisco, CA
June 2011 – August 2011
- Transcribed interviews; composed and edited text for the website and oral history program.
- Worked with different departments including archives, library, and records management in organizing and maintaining documents.
- Collaborated with others to further develop oral history program and start the process of creating a database.
Exploratorium Museum, Media Archiving Department Researcher, San Francisco, CA
March 2011 – June 2011
- Composed and processed data required to catalog material; ensured that materials were in compliance with museum’s archival policy.
- Created historical data in order to prepare various exhibits and events for the online database.
Howard Gotlieb Archival Research Center Research Assistant, Boston, MA
January 2010 – May 2010
- Completed research, data collection, and entry for existing and new collection material including photographs, pamphlets, posters, and manuscripts.
- Conducted background research for exhibits using academic databases and archival material.
The Wende Museum and Archive of the Cold War Research Intern, Culver City, CA
June 2008 – August 2008
- Assisted with the cataloging, organizing, and processing of new materials regarding Germany and the Cold War.
- Conducted research on the effects of the Cold War in Prague and the Czech Republic.
- Contributed to the further development of the museum’s website including creating and maintaining a blog geared towards adolescents and young adults.
Tri Star Tax Services and LPL Financial Services Compliance & Operations Associate, Los Angeles CA
June 2007 – July 2008
- Completed comprehensive client portfolio research for financial advisor and client quarterly reviews.
- Organized and implemented FINRA compliance strategy for over 2,000 existing clients in a branch with over $100 million AUM (assets under management).
- Developed a new filing system and procedure that increased database management, client marketing, resource managing, and asset gathering strategy.
Saturday Night Magazine Editor/Writer, Los Angeles, CA
December 2003 – September 2005
- Assigned, wrote, and edited articles for each issue.
- Supervised, mentored, and edited work of writers; worked with advertising representatives weekly.
Sunny Canadian International School Third Grade Teacher, Prague, Czech Republic
August 2008 – June 2009
- Taught using third grade standards and academic requirements; utilized an increased level of differentiation given the dual language nature of the school and wide range of student ability.
- Interacted with faculty and parents, conducting multiple conferences and informational meetings.
Skills and Abilities
Microsoft Office, DB/Textworks, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, InDesign, Filemaker Pro, MARC, EAD
Knowledge of written and spoken German and Spanish
American Library Association, Special Libraries Association, Society of California Archivists
Baking, blogging, creative writing, knitting, photography, scrapbooking, sewing, Vinyassa yoga
To Contact Heather Garrett: