Back to Resources for Interest Group Leaders
Spring Fling FAQs for Interest Group Leaders
What are Spring Fling programs?
What support does CLA provide?
What is the 2015 Spring Fling timeline?
Why must Interest Groups submit Spring Fling proposals?
What if I can’t submit my proposal by the deadline?
Can I submit my form early?
- Spring Fling programs are professional development activities presented by CLA Interest Groups during the spring.
- The programs are a complement to the annual CLA conference.
- Similar to conference, the Spring Fling includes different types of programs. Your event might be a training workshop, library tour, author presentation, networking activity, or something else entirely! It might be an in-person program or a webinar. And it could take place anywhere in California.
- Most in-person programs are hosted by California libraries.
- We suggest that programs are scheduled from mid-March through mid-May to help us most efficiently support and promote your programs, but we are happy to support programs outside of this timeframe.
CLA staff and the Interest Group committee:
- provide advice on hosting a successful Spring Fling program;
- help you brainstorm program ideas and potential program venues;
- provide advice on setting registration fees;
- help you complete your Spring Fling form
- set up and manage program registration;
- provide technical support for webinars;
- help you promote your event using CALIX, Facebook, and Twitter etc.;
- provide evaluation forms and collate program evaluations; and
- troubleshoot problems – just let us know what you need.
Groups may request funds from CLA to support their programs, and funding requests are reviewed by CLA’s Interest Group committee. Interest Group programs should be planned to generate income and your budget must show how CLA funds will be recouped by the program (e.g. through registration fees or sponsorship).
What is the 2015 Spring Fling timeline?
- Sept-Nov 2014: Interest Groups plan their Spring Fling programs with support from CLA staff and Interest Group committee members as needed.
- Nov 24, 2013: Spring Fling 2015 proposal deadline.
- December 2014: Interest Group committee members meet to review the Spring Fling proposals; Spring Fling proposals are accepted and/or edited according to the committee's review.
- January: CLA staff create registration materials and Spring Fling web pages and Interest Group committee members work with Interest Groups on final program planning.
- Feb 9, 2015: Spring Fling programs are launched and promoted.
- March, April, and May 2015: Spring Fling programs take place.
- We ask groups that are asking for funds to submit proposals so that we can provide accountability for those funds to the CLA Board, and so that you can show us how you plan to recoup the funds that CLA is providing. The Interest Group Committee reviews these proposals to ensure that programs are planned to generate income.
- We ask groups that are not requesting funds to submit proposals so that we can report on Interest Group activity to the Board, ensure that your registration fees are comparable with those set by other groups, ensure that your event will generate income, and use the information you submit to set up registration and promote your program.
- If you are unable to submit your proposal by the deadline we still want to help you plan and present your program!
- If you will be requesting funds from CLA, please submit your form at least 10 weeks before your program is due to take place to enable us to review the proposal and your registration fees, work with you on any suggested changes, set up registration, promote your program, and engage enough registrants to cover program costs.
- If you will not be requesting funds from CLA, please submit your form at least 5 weeks before your program is due to take place.
- Please note: CLA staff require two weeks to set up registration forms and one week to set up other types of forms.
- Our deadlines are set to help us present the best Spring Fling possible. However, we know that life doesn’t always go according to plan. If you are planning a program and don’t think you can make your deadline, please just let us know and we will do everything we can to make your Spring Fling program happen.
- Yes! We welcome any Spring Fling information as early as possible to help the Interest Group Committee review funding requests efficiently and help us set up registration as soon as possible.