Get Involved: Powered By Your Library is a California statewide initiative designed to expand the visibility and contributions of skilled volunteers through public libraries. With tens of thousands of Californians, especially baby boomers, seeking new ways to use their skills and experience to make a difference in their community, public libraries are positioned to engage this talent to extend their capacity in the community and to develop advocates and supporters of their services.
We believe that public libraries, as information centers and community “living rooms,” can serve as hubs for civic engagement. Through partnerships with existing volunteer resources, or by taking the lead where none exist, public libraries can encourage and attract more community members to service in libraries and throughout the community.
Check out our resources at: www.library.ca.gov/lds/getinvolved.html
Check out our videos on YouTube.
Get Involved Annual Report.
- Raise awareness among public libraries about how high-skilled volunteers can benefit both the library and the community.
- Train public libraries to create diverse and meaningful skilled volunteer positions that will attract a broad range of community volunteers, especially baby boomers.
- Build the capacity of public libraries to recruit, engage, train and support skilled volunteers more effectively.
- In partnership with their local volunteer recruitment and referral agencies, position California public libraries as community “hubs” for civic engagement.
- Assist community members to find skilled volunteer opportunities that match their individual talents, passions and interests in public libraries and/or throughout the community.
- Provide each library in California a free upgraded account on volunteermatch.org, as well as training on how to use it, to assist them in their efforts to reach out beyond who they know to attract skilled volunteers who can develop into library supporters.
Questions about the Get Involved: Powered By Your Library initiative can be directed to: