About the award | Current award recipient | Past award recipients
The CLA Technical Services Award of Achievement acknowledges superior achievement by an individual in those areas of the library profession that encompass technical services.
All members of the library community are invited to take this opportunity to recognize deserving technical services colleagues who have made significant contributions in those areas of librarianship that have been especially challenged by the need for innovation and adaptation in dealing with rapidly changing technology and work environments.
A maximum of one award is given each year. The CLA Technical Services Award of Achievement recipient is presented with $750 and honored at the CLA annual conference.
The award is sponsored by OCLC.
Submit a nomination for the CLA Technical Services Award of Achievement
2016 Award Recipient
Hermine Vermeij is a librarian in the UCLA Cataloging and Metadata Center, where she serves as the Team Leader of the Subject Specialists and the Music Cataloger. She catalogs scores, sound recordings, and other materials for the Music Library, as well as social sciences monographs in German, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Icelandic, and Tagalog.
Hermine currently serves on the Board of the Music Library Association (MLA) as the Assistant Fiscal Officer. She has been active in genre/form projects within MLA and the American Library Association (ALA), and she was chair of the MLA Subject Access Subcommittee during the development of the Library of Congress Medium of Performance Thesaurus (LCMPT). She has given numerous presentations on genre/form and medium of performance terms for music and RDA for music materials.
Hermine holds an MLIS from UCLA and a BA in Music from UC Santa Cruz. She lives in Tarzana, California, with her husband, two sons, and a cat.
The 2017 award nomination period will be announced soon.
- Persons nominated for the award are required to be CLA members.
- Nominees must have worked for a portion of the past year in a California library.
- Nominators are not required to be CLA members. However, if a nomination is made by a non-member, the nomination must be endorsed by a CLA member. If you need assistance in finding a CLA member to endorse your nomination, please contact the CLA office no later than two weeks prior to the deadline.
How to nominate
Nominators should submit a statement (of no more than 350 words) identifying the nominee's achievement(s) and briefly describing the impact of the achievement(s) on those areas of the library profession that encompass technical services. Criteria for selection are outstanding achievement in one or more of the following areas:
- leadership in professional associations at the local, state, regional, national, or international level;
- significant contributions to the development, application, or utilization of new or improved methods, techniques, and routines demonstrating creativity and innovation;
- significant contributions to the professional literature; and
- significant studies or research.
- The CLA Technical Services Award is coordinated by CLA's Technical Services Interest Group (TSIG).
- TSIG may consider only those individuals who have been formally nominated for the award.
- TSIG reserves the right not to give an award if a qualified candidate is not found.
- Award recipients will be asked to submit a photograph to be used in award publicity.
- Nominations and all supplementary materials must be received by 5:00pm on the submission deadline.
- If you have questions, please contact Luiz Mendes.
2016 CLA Technical Services Award of Achievement Committee
Kathryn Foster, Monterey Park Bruggemeyer Library
Luiz Mendes, CSU Northridge (Chair)