Award information | Current award recipient | Past award recipients
CLA President's Award
The CLA President’s Award recognizes outstanding contributions, leadership and achievement in support of California libraries by a Trustee, Friend, Elected Official or other lay person who has given his or her time and talents to further the advancement of California libraries. The California library community is invited and encouraged to submit nominations for this prestigious award.
The President's Award recipient is honored at the CLA annual conference.
Nomination information for the CLA President's Award
2016 Award Recipient
Natalie Cole is a library programs consultant at the California State Library, and a champion of California's libraries and the valuable role that libraries play in their communities.
As interim executive director and associate executive director of the California Library Association, Natalie led the development of multiple initiatives including California Library Snapshot Day, the Spring Fling professional development series, Summer @ Your Library quality principles, the One Million Readers Challenge, and the statewide outcomes-based summer reading initiative; she also co-developed the Lunch at the Library program which helps libraries become successful summer meal program sites.
Prior to working with CLA, Natalie was director of the California Center for the Book and a consultant to the Los Angeles Public Library, County of Los Angeles Public Library, and Library of Congress. She has also served on the CLA Assembly, multiple CLA committees, the California Poet Laureate nomination review committee, the California Arts Council's grant review panel for literature, the Poets & Writers California advisory committee, and the UCLA Department of Information Studies' professional program committee. She received her doctorate and master's degree from the University of Sheffield, U.K.
The 2017 award nomination period will be announced soon.
- Nominees may be trustees, friends, elected officials or lay persons who have given their time and talents to further the advancement of California libraries.
- Nominees are not required to be CLA members.
- Nominators are not required to be CLA members. However, if a nomination is made by a non-member, the nomination must be endorsed by a CLA member. If you need assistance in finding a CLA member to endorse your nomination, please contact the CLA office no later than two weeks prior to the deadline.
How to nominate
Nominators should submit:
- evidence of the nominee's outstanding contributions, leadership, and achievement in support of California libraries (the statement should be specific, should include dates where appropriate, and should not exceed 500 words); and
- at least two, but no more than four, letters of support for the nomination.
Please note: when submitting supplementary files by email, please label your files as follows: CLAPres_nominee's last name_document (e.g.: CLAPres_smith_letter of support1).
Nominations should be submitted using the online nomination form below. Supplementary files may be emailed to the CLA Executive Director.
- Nominations for the President's Award are forwarded to the CLA President who selects the award recipient. After reviewing the nominations, the President may select a recipient from among the nominees, or may choose to honor someone who was not among that group.
- CLA reserves the right not to give an award if a qualified candidate is not found.
- Award recipients will be asked to submit a photograph to be used in award publicity.
- Nominations and all supplementary materials must be received by 5:00pm on the submission deadline.