Resume for Emily Otis
Date posted: July 15, 2011
I am particularly interested in working with youth and working with computers (two topics of focus for my MLIS coursework), but am a quick learner, and would be eager to try my hand at a variety of library positions. I have an open schedule, and can work evening and weekend hours.I would be happy to interview or submit a more detailed resume for most library positions.
Seeking a position at a library, with a particular interest in working with children and young adults, or with technology.
Master of Library and Information Science, GPA: 3.91 12/11 (Expected)
San Jose State University
Bachelor’s in Anthropology, GPA: 3.40 1/06
California State University, Fullerton
CATI Project Manager, Social Science Research Center at California State University Fullerton (10/06-7/11)
- Manage a staff of more than 30 student interviewers and supervisors.
- Plan and conduct formal, class-style training sessions for new staff.
- Oversee data collection efforts and maintain data quality for telephone and web-based surveys.
- Extensively utilize programs such as Excel, SPSS, WinCATI, and Snap Surveys to organize administrative tasks, analyze data, and build survey questionnaires.
Children’s Department Intern, Placentia Public Library (8/10 - 2/10)
- Answered reference questions at Children’s Reference Desk.
- Ordered books for the Young Adult collection.
- Compiled bibliographies of reading recommendations for young adults and grade schoolers.
- Worked with P-TAC (teen library volunteer group).
- Helped plan and run library events, including Camp Library and Halloween crafts.
Reference Information Services, Grade: A
- Learned about resources available for answering reference questions.
- Shadowed a Reference Librarian.
- Developed a Pathfinder (subject guide) using a variety of resources.
Online Searching, In progress
- Protocols and techniques for effectively searching Dialog, LexisNexis, and Factiva databases.
Information Technology Tools and Applications, Grade A
- Website programming for libraries with emphasis on usability.
Materials for Young Adults, Grade A
- Researched and used various social media applications popular among young adults, including Facebook and Twitter.
- Posted blog of various materials for yougn adults.
Information Retrieval, Grade: A-
- Learned methods for organizing information in databases and information retreival techniques.
- Studied information seeking behaviors.
To Contact Emil Otis: