CLA Member of the Year Award
The CLA Member of the Year Award recognizes an individual member of the California Library Association for her or his outstanding contributions, leadership and achievements in service to California libraries. The California library community is invited and encouraged to submit nominations for this prestigious award.
CLA's Member of the Year is honored at the CLA annual conference.
2015 Award Recipient
Elaine Franco, University of California, Davis
Elaine A. Franco (Original Cataloger, Shields Library, University of California, Davis) joined CLA in 1990, becoming active in what is now the Technical Services Interest Group (formerly Access, Collections, and Technical Services Section), and serving as ACTSS Cataloging Interest Group Chair, ACTSS President, and Technical Services Interest Group Steering Committee member. She conceived and developed the Technical Services New Leader Award and was herself honored with the ACTSS Award of Achievement.
Elaine's relevant American Library Association activity includes serving as Chair, ALCTS Affiliate Relations Committee, the committee charged with maintaining communication between state and regional technical services groups (such as CLA TSIG) and ALCTS (Association for Library Collections & Technical Services) especially in regard to national standards. This link with ALCTS has been particularly significant following Library of Congress implementation of RDA (Resource Description and Access), the new cataloging standard. Elaine has organized and moderated a number of CLA programs and workshops intended to facilitate RDA implementation for California’s catalogers and libraries.
The 2016 award nomination period is open until Friday, March 18, 2016 at 5:00PM PST.
- Nominees must be current members of the association who have held membership for at least three years.
- Nominees must be, or must have been, working in a recognized library position or teaching in library education.
- Elected officials of the Association (president, vice-president, immediate past-president, treasurer, ALA chapter councilor, and Board members) are excluded from consideration during their term of office.
- Nominators are not required to be CLA members. However, if a nomination is made by a non-member, the nomination must be endorsed by a CLA member. If you need assistance in finding a CLA member to endorse your nomination, please contact the CLA office no later than two weeks prior to the deadline.
How to nominate
Nominators should submit:
- Evidence of the nominee's significant contribution to the advancement of libraries and librarianship through professional activities. Consideration for selection as Member of the Year includes: distinguished service to the profession; active and innovative leadership in the development of libraries and the improvement of library service; and outstanding contributions in promoting libraries and bringing community, regional, or statewide recognition to libraries. The statement should be specific, should include dates where appropriate, and should not exceed 500 words.
- At least two, and no more than four, letters of support for the nomination.
Please note: when submitting supplementary files by email, please label your files as follows: MOTY_nominee's last name_document (e.g.: MOTY_smith_letter of rec1).
Nominations should be submitted using the online nomination form below. Supplementary files may be emailed to Natalie Cole.
- The CLA Member of the Year Award is coordinated by CLA's Member of the Year Committee.
- The committee reserves the right not to give an award if a qualified candidate is not found.
- Nominees are evaluated on the basis of evidence and support presented in the nomination as to the nature and scope of the accomplishments and on the committee's own knowledge of the nominee's qualifications. The committee is not expected to undertake research into the qualification of nominees.
- Award recipients will be asked to submit a photograph to be used in award publicity.
- Applications and all supplementary materials must be received by 5:00pm on the submission deadline. Postmarks will not be accepted.
- If you have questions, please contact Patty Wong.
CLA Member of the Year Award Committee
- Jennifer Addington, Pasadena Public Library (Chair)
- Elaine Franco, UC Davis
- Patty Wong, Yolo County Library