About the California Summer Reading Program
CLA's California Summer Reading Program helps libraries provide high-quality summer reading programs for their communities. CLA provides libraries with programming resources, training, statewide summer reading outcomes, and data collection tools to help ensure that: (a) California's summer reading programs remain vital and relevant; and (b) the impact and value of Californa's summer reading programs is measured and collected at both the local and at the state levels.
- "We couldn't possibly do the quality SRP we do without all of the great programming ideas, booklists, and other excellent resources provided to us."
- "A huge weight is lifted when we receive our Resource Guide."
- "It is terrific to have a unifying theme and artwork for our library system."
Resources for libraries
Past and Future Themes
Resources for libraries
LSTA funding from the California State Library provides libraries with:
- High-quality, theme-based, free-of-charge summer reading materials, including a Resource Guide and CD of professionally-designed graphics.
- Statewide outcomes and supplementary resources to enable libraries to evaluate the impact of their summer reading programs.
- A statewide participation survey to help libraries collect quantitative summer reading data.
- Training workshops presented by experienced California librarians.
- PowerPoint slides and handouts to help libraries present in-house training.
- A resource-rich website comprising programming ideas, training materials, outreach and evaluation tools, and research on the value of summer reading.
- Technical support from CLA staff.
- Opportunities to guide the development of the iREAD program.
- Opportunities to purchase high-quality, low-cost, themed program materials.
Natalie Cole, CLA Associate Executive Director
email@example.com | 650-376-0886 option #4
Trish Garone, CLA Summer Reading Program Associate
firstname.lastname@example.org | 650-376-0886 option #5
The California Summer Reading Program is guided by an advisory council of CLA members. Please click on the link for the role of the advisory council, a list of members, and information on applying or nominating a colleague for the council.
- The California Summer Reading Program gives every public library in California the opportunity to take part in the Illinois Library Association's iREAD program.
- iREAD's mission is to provide high-quality, low-cost resources and products that enable local library staff to motivate patrons to read.
- iREAD is widely used by libraries all over the United States and in eighteen other countries across the globe, including its adoption by the Australian Library and Information Association for all Australian libraries.
- As a coordinated, self-supporting effort between librarians, the Illinois LIbrary Association, and the California Library Association, every purchase from iREAD supports library advocacy.
- Please read our FAQs to find out more about CLA's partnership with iREAD.
- 2016: Sports and Games: Read for the Win!
- 2015: Music: Read to the Rhythm
- 2014: Animals: Paws to Read
- 2013: Food: Reading Is So Delicious!
- 2014: Paws to Read
- 2012: Nighttime
- Children's slogan: Dream Big - Read (Sueña en Grande - Lee)
- Teen slogan: Own the Night (Se Dueño de la Noche)
- Adult slogan: Between the Covers (Entre las Carátulas)
- 2011: Travel and World Culture
- Children's slogan: One World, Many Stories
- Teen slogan: You Are Here
- Adult slogan: Novel Destinations
- 2010: Water
- Children's slogan: Make a Splash
- Teen slogan: Make Waves at Your Library
- Adult slogan: Water Your Mind
- 2009: Music and the Arts
- Children's slogan: Be Creative @ Your Library
- Teen slogan: Express Yourself @ Your Library
- 2008 Children's slogan: Catch the Reading Bug
- 2008 Teen slogan: Metamorphosis @ Your Library
- 2007 Children's slogan: Get a Clue @ Your Library
- 2007 Teen slogan: YNK - You Never Know @ Your Library
- 2006 Children's slogan: Paws, Claws, Scales & Tales
- 2006 Teen slogan: Creature Features @ Your Library