CLA Member of the Year Award
The CLA Member of the Year Award recognizes an individual member of the California Library Association for her or his outstanding contributions, leadership and achievements in service to California libraries. The California library community is invited and encouraged to submit nominations for this prestigious award.
CLA's Member of the Year is honored at the CLA annual conference.
2016 Award Recipient
Cindy Mediavilla, University of California, Los Angeles
Cindy Mediavilla has been a member of the California Library Association for more than 30 years. During that time, she has served as chair of the continuing education, library education and recruitment, nominating, Begun scholarship, organization and bylaws, and conference planning committees. She also served five years as CLA newsletter editor and is a founding member of the CLA Library History Interest Group. She is currently chair of the California Library Hall of Fame selection committee. She served two terms on the CLA assembly and was CLA president in 2001.
Cindy worked as a public librarian for 18 years, before returning to school to get a doctorate in library science. Her areas of expertise are after-school homework programs, outcomes-based planning and evaluation, and the history of California public libraries. Although she retired from the state library in December 2015, she remains active in the profession by teaching at UCLA and freelance consulting. Her MLS and PhD are both from UCLA.
The 2017 award nomination period has closed.
- Nominees must be current members of the association who have held membership for at least three years.
- Nominees must be, or must have been, working in a recognized library position or teaching in library education.
- Elected officials of the Association (president, vice-president, immediate past-president, treasurer, ALA chapter councilor, and Board members) are excluded from consideration during their term of office.
- Nominators are not required to be CLA members. However, if a nomination is made by a non-member, the nomination must be endorsed by a CLA member. If you need assistance in finding a CLA member to endorse your nomination, please contact the CLA office no later than two weeks prior to the deadline.
How to nominate
Nominators should submit:
- Evidence of the nominee's significant contribution to the advancement of libraries and librarianship through professional activities. Consideration for selection as Member of the Year includes: distinguished service to the profession; active and innovative leadership in the development of libraries and the improvement of library service; and outstanding contributions in promoting libraries and bringing community, regional, or statewide recognition to libraries. The statement should be specific, should include dates where appropriate, and should not exceed 500 words.
- At least two, and no more than four, letters of support for the nomination.
Please note: when submitting supplementary files by email, please label your files as follows: MOTY_nominee's last name_document (e.g.: MOTY_smith_letter of rec1).
Nominations should be submitted using the online nomination form below. Supplementary files may be emailed to Shana Sojoyner.
- The CLA Member of the Year Award is coordinated by CLA's Member of the Year Committee.
- The committee reserves the right not to give an award if a qualified candidate is not found.
- Nominees are evaluated on the basis of evidence and support presented in the nomination as to the nature and scope of the accomplishments and on the committee's own knowledge of the nominee's qualifications. The committee is not expected to undertake research into the qualification of nominees.
- Award recipients will be asked to submit a photograph to be used in award publicity.
- Applications and all supplementary materials must be received by 5:00pm on the submission deadline. Postmarks will not be accepted.
- If you have questions, please contact Elaine Franco, Chair of CLA's Member of the Year Committee.
2017 CLA Member of the Year Award Committee
- Susan Broman, Los Angeles Public Library
- Erica Cuyugan, Santa Monica Public Library
- Angelica Fortin, Paso Robles City Library
- Elaine Franco, UC Davis (Chair)