About the award | Current award recipients
CLA PRExcellence Awards
The PRExcellence Awards honor the highest quality efforts of California libraries in promoting and communicating their message to their customers. Libraries are encouraged to submit their best PR materials!
There are four PRExcellence Award entry categories: Print, Electronic, Event or Campaign, and Wildcard. Up to three awards are given within each of these categories: first place winners at each of three library budget levels: under $5M, $5M-$10M, and $10M and above. A Best in Show award is also given.
PRExcellence award recipients are presented with certificates of recognition and are honored and showcased during the annual CLA conference.
Apply for the CLA PRExcellence Award
The PRExcellence Best in Show Award will be announced live at the CLA Awards Gala on Friday, November 7th, 2014.
Less than $5 million budget: Print
Rancho Mirage Public Library
Project: Quarterly Guide to Programs and Exhibits
Less than $5 million budget: Electronic
Camarillo Public Library
Project: The Great Game
Less than $5 million budget: Event or Campaign
Camarillo Public Library
Project: Camarillo Reads
Less than $5 million budget: Wildcard
Burlingame Public Library
Project: Homework Help Coupon
$5-10 million budget: Electronic
Anaheim Public Library
Project: APL News
$5-10 million budget: Event or Campaign
Anaheim Public Library
Project: Youth Art Series
$5-10 million budget: Wildcard
Santa Clara City Library
Project: Sustainable U
$10 million + budget: Print
Oakland Public Library
Project: 2012-2013 Annual Report
$10 million + budget: Electronic
Santa Clara County Library District
Project: Sharing Starts Here Video Project
$10 million + budget: Event or Campaign
County of Los Angeles Public Library
Project: Foto East LA and Topanga Digital History Project
$10 million + budget: Wildcard
Sacramento Public Library
Project: One Book Project
The 2014 award application period is closed.
- California libraries and library participants, such as Friends and Foundations, are invited to participate in the PRExcellence Awards.
- Groups and/or libraries applying for a PRExcellence Award must be CLA Institutional Members.
- Entries must have been created and used in 2013.
How to apply
Applicants should submit the following to CLA:
- Title of entry
- Category of entry:
1. Print: submissions may include brochures, bookmarks, print newsletters, flyers, and posters, etc.
2. Electronic: submissions may include websites, videos, use of social media, and electronic newsletters, etc. Where possible, please print and provide a color print out of the main page and sample sub-pages.
3. Event or Campaign: the format may vary but all aspects of the entry must focus on a common event, theme, or goal, for example, a building campaign, fundraising effort, or library opening, etc.
4. Wildcard: PR materials that don't fit into any of the other categories.
- Size of organizational budget: (1) less than $5M, (2) $5M-$10M, (3) greater than $10M
- A detailed project description. Please be sure to include the following: project goal, how the piece helped you achieved the goal, the intended audience, and how the success of the project was measured. (Not to exceed 500 words.)
- Examples of the materials being submitted for the award. Please submit items by mail or include links to electronic materials in the application. If you need to submit digital files as email attachments please contact Margaret Hatanaka to make arrangements.
Entries will be assessed according to their visual appeal, relevance to the target audience, clarity of brand or identity, originality, creativity, and overall impression.
Print materials should be mailed to the CLA office in Monrovia. No more than five different pieces should be submitted in support of your application. Twelve copies of each piece should be included in your mailing. The items will be distributed to PRExcellence Awards committee members. Please attached a printout of your completed application form to each copy or set of copies that you submit. Materials must be received at the CLA office by 5:00pm on the submission deadline. Postmarks will not be accepted. We cannot return entry materials. Please mail your materials to:
California Library Association (PRExcellence Awards)
248 E. Foothill Blvd., Ste 101
Monrovia, CA 91016-5525
- CLA's PRExcellence Awards are coordinated by CLA's Marketing and Public Relations Interest Group.
- The CLA Marketing and Public Relations Interest Group reserves the right not to give an award if a qualified candidate is not found.
- Applications and all supplementary materials must be received by 5:00pm on the submission deadline. Postmarks will not be accepted.
- If you have questions, please contact Margaret Hatanaka.
CLA PRExcellence Awards Committee
Brenda Crotts, Butte County Library
Rebecca Elder, Monrovia Public Library
Mark Fink, Santa Clara County Library
Margaret Hatanaka (Chair), Rancho Cucamonga Library Services
Hilary Keith, Santa Clara City Library
Sharon Tani, Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts
Heather Witherow, Ontario City Library